#16. Post-Rock For Some Of Us

19:35:00


Post-rock is a form of experimental rock that is distinguished by rock influenced music and instruments. Mostly instrumental, vocals are often left out. Though it doesn't necessarily mean they are completely absent. When vocals are included in post-rock, it is conveyed in a way that it delivers a poetic and lyrical meaning.

I never knew Post-rock. It all started at the field, where my close friend (now my boyfriend), Derrick asked, "Hey, have you ever heard of Post-rock?"

The next thing I know, we were just staring into the sky, listening to Explosions In The Sky, Sigur Ros, God Is An Astronaut, Mogwai, Frames, If These Trees Could Talk, and Aesthesys. Tears started to flow. I don't even know why they were flowing. I don't know why I cried. You know how they say when a piece of music means something to you, it hits you hard, and then you feel it? Well, I don't think it was just the music. It was the feelings, emotions, and the thoughts that when through the music composer's head. It was all of them together in one that touched my soul. Post-rock, it tells you about your soul and life more than your mouth ever could.


I recommend that you listen with Headphones on
It's really not that hard to find post-rock music. There's the internet, there's Youtube. One post-rock video will always lead you to another post-rock video. It's an endless discovery on your own. Just by clicking the videos on the side bar would do more than enough. And that's when you'll drown and immerse yourself with the music. You'll fall in love with post-rock and I won't try to save you from it because, why should I save you from something you love?

My experience with post-rock has been life-changing, and I don't think any other genre could've made such an impact on my life. And this is why I love post-rock. They describe most of the situations in which a person goes through in their daily lives. When music composers start writing their songs, a lot of them are writing their songs based on something that they are going or went through, or what those around them are going through. Without realizing it, they were writing about events that, even if the songs are about them or those close to them, most people are able to relate to some part of the song. I am one of the people who listens to music that relate to what is happening in my life that day, week, or just period of time in general, just because it brings comfort to me to realize that I am not the only one in it.

I am no musician, but I do know good music when I hear one. As clichΓ© this is going to sound, some of the post-rock music that I listened to has inspired various writings for me. Poems, short stories, or lyric ideas, you name it. Post-rock gave me a few great ideas and pieces of writing, and I was happy about it. My post-rock inspired pieces aren’t the only works that turned out really well though, I have pieces that were inspired from other aspects of life that turned out just as well, if not better. I have really enjoyed writing my post-rock inspired poems, short stories, and lyric ideas though because they have really helped me to appreciate the effect that post-rock has on my life.

Sometimes, it's contradicting too. I'm the kind of person who doesn't really share a meaningful music to the world mainly because, it would make it less special. I can't explain that feeling. You know, when a piece of music really means something to you and you hold it really dear to your heart, and you can't bear the thought of others hearing it. I love post-rock too much. I like to keep it to myself. I wouldn't want to show this to my friends, because it feels so personal. It sounds silly, because it's not like I own the song, and it's out there for everybody. It's not like I'm special. I'm rather insignificant, but I would feel odd if someone in the same room felt the same way as me when they listen to post-rock. I'm comfortable not relating to others... but sometimes, having a few close friends who appreciate post-rock makes everything seem better. Because if Derrick had not shared post-rock with me, I wouldn't have known about it. (Thank you, love)

I don't expect everyone to love post-rock though. You either love it, or hate it. There is no in between. I also like to believe that post-rock was made for certain people. It's not for everyone. It takes a lot more than just "enjoying good music" to love post-rock, because post-rock is more than that. I recall a time when I was in campus and as I was listening to EITS - First Breath After Coma, a friend of mine just had to say "What kind of noise are you listening to?' Noise...Really, bro? Of course, I admit I was a bit annoyed because no one talks that way about something I love. I got upset, told Derrick about it... Funny how we both laughed it off in the end. And ever since that, it was our secret code to call post-rock music "noise". And now we're always asking each other, "Hey, wanna hear some 'noise'?"

However, I know I am not the only soul listening to post-rock. And that's what makes post-rock so significant is that, there are a thousands of people out there listening to post-rock, yet a lot of different emotions and interpretations in every person who listens to it. Some of us who are introverts, we know that loneliness is such a bizarre feeling. We roam such a large expanse of land, surrounded by our own kind. Yet, we can still feel so deserted, lost and unloved. And maybe, maybe sometimes the loneliness is worth it. Maybe, sadness just might be a wonderful gift, a trigger for greater happiness. Life moves on. Post-rock helps us to embrace moods, embrace moments, and embrace ourselves.

Post-rock gives me picture of happiness, a short one...  



... and that's all I need.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Ghost Town - Off With Her Head

Ghost Town - In Flames

Ghost Town - Dreamer

Flickr Images

The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby

Catfish and the Bottlemen - Twice

Sleep Dealer - Nozomi